Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Cartooning Tips and Tricks: How to Straighten Your Drawing in Photoshop


Whoops, you scanned your drawing in crooked. Here's how to fix it:
(click the images for full screen shots)

1. Choose the Measure tool


2. Click and drag the Measure tool against a line on your drawing that SHOULD be flat. Here I'm lining it up with the bottom edge of the drawing. Click and drag on either end of the Measure line in order to adjust the line. TIP: give yourself lots of space on either edge of the drawing -- this helps with accuracy.


3. Go to IMAGE > ROTATE CANVAS > ARBITRARY...


4. Holy cow, Photoshop has calculated the exact measurement FOR you! Click OK.


5. You're done. If you want to quickly check whether it's straight, make a quick box with the Rectangular Marquee tool (press M on your keyboard).

2 comments:

Donn Ha said...

This goes to show how little I know. I did not know that. I've been doing it by eye for 13 years now.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this! I can't tell, you the number of times I've had to eyeball this kind of thing and do it three or four times in the process.